Imagine a neighbourhood where:
• people feel part of the community
• people feel that neighbours look out for each other
• people feel free to ask each other for help when they want it
• people share their skills
• people feel valued when they help each other out
• people enjoy a full and meaningful life
Time Banking strengthens communities by drawing people together and by developing mutual friendships and support.
It is a way of creating a sense of neighbourliness and building communities. It is a rewarding and enjoyable way for people to come together to share their skills. With Time Banking, people of all ages and abilities can join in and exchange a whole range of skills. It benefits from the diversity of its membership so there are a wide variety of skills exchanged between members
The Time Bank is a way to use your skills helping others and receiving help in return. Everyone has something to offer, from gardening to form filling.
At the heart of Time Banking are five core values:
• People are assets. The real wealth of any society is its people. Every individual has valuable experience, skills and connections to contribute to the well-being of others in their local community.
• Redefining work. Activities such as bringing up children, caring for people, keeping communities safe, fighting injustice and making democracy work have to be recognised and rewarded as real work.
• Working together. We need each other. Giving and receiving are the basic building blocks of positive social relationships and healthy communities.
• Improving our communities. Belonging to a mutually supportive and secure social network brings more meaning to our lives and new opportunities to build our trust in one another.
• Empowerment. The voices of those being helped must be respected, amplified, responded to and acted upon.